Will I Ever See You Again? Poem based on the film "The Arrival". by Sita Brahmachari







 Will I Ever See You Again?


I left you behind, crossed the seas ‘cos that's what you wanted for me!

To a distant land of promise, you said.

 My world though, was spinning out of control!

All I could sense was fear and dread and tension riddled my body.


I pounded the table, with my fist,  I couldn't understand the rage.

What was  I thinking, why did I leave? 

Was it the right decision to make?

Wouldn't I have been safer if I was back home with you?

Wouldn’t it have been better for me?


Mother, I still don’t feel free, do you hear me?

The ache in my heart is too much to bear! 

It might shatter into a million pieces! 

And you won't be there Mother! 


You're so far away, 

like that unreachable star that's shining in the night sky.

Then I look around and draw my strength from others like me!

They came across the seas, to find a new life, a vocation, to be free!


Appa, I wish I knew all of this and how deeply you regretted leaving it all behind, 

not just your motherland but your Amma you loved so much!

Am happy that fate seemed to turn around for a bit and you got to see her yet again while she could still see and hear you and reassure you that it was not all in vain.

p.s. 'my grandmother's name was Natchathirram!' ( Star in Tamil)

With Sita Brahmachari, who conducted the mind blowing, inspiring and motivating Masterclass.
Presenting her with a copy of my first published work!

Comments

Popular Posts