In memory of my late Appa -Passed into glory on 2nd Nov 1983: All soul's day


In memory of my late Appa
2nd Nov 1983

37 yrs ago, he would have been 90!
I remember who sustained us, Appa,
When you left us so suddenly!
My world stood still
My heart went numb
I couldn't explain
Life's spin on us!

Four of us you left behind
Amma, now a widow so young!
You didn't know God would take you so soon
Appa, did you not?

You replenished what was lost in ' Jul 83
So we could live on courageously.

How we miss those funny faces you made
When Amma a stern remark relayed
You trotted home late with no care or explanation
We knew where you'd been
In jubilation
That was the way you'd end your day
A chat, a few words exchanged between friends

Percy and me , the older two
Would exchange knowing glances
And took your bag and shoes
Dinner's ready Appa, I'd say
Off you went
Normal routine to do
A simple meal you devoured

Then you'd watch some TV
Your favourite Roger Moore
Or the detective series
It was the same every evening
Of course you would chase us off to bed
Saying hey its a school night.

Till that fateful day
Only Percy was near you
To try to regain
I did try too, with first aid
Your life seemed to have left you
Never again to return

Doctor, hospital nothing could wake you
'Twas the way our fate seemed sealed
But you seemed to be at peace
Ran through the journey, a long way from your original home
You seemed to have accomplished
All that you'd dreamt of
Well-done my faithful servant
Obediently you went
As you'd heard God's call

Angie E. Seneviratne 2nd Nov 2020
Footnote: the last hours was a painful memory

Honestly I don't want those memories back! 

Comments

Popular Posts